Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"God hears every word we utter against Himself and one-another."

Yesterday I drove home at dusk during that downpour of cold April rain, trying not to complain about the weather in my thoughts. I have learned that all complaining about weather is murmuring against God Himself. He does what He does after His own wise counsel, and I must be grateful for it all. As I came into my house, I was struck by the loud singing of the birds after such a deluge. The Robins were giving voice with their clear beautiful courting calls to one another~

“Robin to the bare bough clinging,

What can this blithe music mean?

Like a hidden fount, thy singing

Seems to clothe the wood with green.

He who wintry hours hath given,

With the snow gives snowdrops birth:

And while angels sing in heaven

God hears the robins sing on earth.”

E.C.~Robins and Their Songs

Their hearts sing even in the rain. Jesus said in Luke 6:45, “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” One can always tell what is in their heart when they hear what proceeds from their mouth. If there is anger, bitterness, complaining, spite, and strife in the heart; it is very certain those attitudes will formulate into unkind words. (Eph.4:29-32) James echoes Jesus analogy in Luke 6 with the question, “Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs?” No, he asserts. “…the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is won in peace by those who make peace.” (James 3:12, 17-18)

“Thou protesteth too loud!” I love to remark to myself. I hear my own biting words, knowing that I have grieved the Holy Spirit and I am convicted my heart is not right. I have to confess my sin that has found a welcoming niche and ask God to cleanse me from all this unrighteousness. When He forgives so willingly, the Lord will cause righteousness and praise to spring up before all the nations. (Isa.61:11)

When I hear other people complaining, making derisive remarks about others, I take heed and say, “It sounds like you are really angry at this person.” The common response is always, “Oh no, I am not that mad. I really do love them deep down!” I muse to myself of how easy it is to deceive oneself. This is their father and mother they are talking about! These are their own siblings! This is their boss who signs their paychecks! This is their own pastor who patiently discipled them in the faith! You should be singing of their praises! They have cared for you, borne with you, hired you, and loved and only served you! Yet, out of treasure of your heart, you bring forth thorns and briars! Clamor and malice that poisons everyone’s ears. “My brethren, these things ought not to be so!”(Jas.3:10) He desires that we be a blessing to others. That our words are seasoned with grace. After all, He is kind to the just and the unjust. 

God hears every word we utter against Himself and one-another. He knows what is in our hearts. He desires to make them clean and pure by His blood.(1 Jn.1:9) Our God will then bless us saying,

“Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along.

For behold, the winter is past, the rain over and gone.

The flowers have already appeared in the land;

The time of singing of the birds has come,

The voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.

The fig tree has ripened its figs,

The vines in blossoms have given forth fragrance.

Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,

And come away!”


Song of Songs 2:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment